There are three ways to file a FAFSA: online, by completing the PDF FAFSA or by completing and mailing in a paper FAFSA application. There is no charge for submitting this form. The way you submit your FAFSA does not affect the funding you receive.
Filing online (in English or Spanish) is the fastest and easiest method of applying, and offers:
- Detailed online help screens.
- Online chat capability with a customer service representative.
- Built-in error detectors that reduce the number of rejected applications.
- Verification that the application was transmitted successfully.
- Application processing within three to five days, compared to two to four weeks with the paper FAFSA.
To start the FAFSA application process, visit FAFSA online and select Start Here. You will be guided step-by-step through the preliminary application process to:
- Gather necessary documentation.
- Apply for a PIN.
- Check your eligibility for federal student aid.
- Note important deadlines.
The PDF FAFSA is available either to print and fill out the PDF manually or is screen fillable Screen fillable means you enter your information on the screen before printing it out. Once you complete your form you must mail it in for processing.
You can get a paper FAFSA application (in English or Spanish) by calling Federal Student Aid Information Center (800) 4-FED-AID (433-3243) TTY: (800) 730-8913.
Complete the paper FAFSA application, make a copy for your records, and mail it in the pre-addressed envelope included in your FAFSA packet. Your FAFSA application will be processed in two to four weeks.