Teacher Loan Forgiveness

If you were a full-time teacher for five consecutive academic years in a "low-income" school, you could qualify for a Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.

When and how to apply

You can apply to have your teacher loans cancelled after you have taught for five consecutive years.

Submit your completed application to the chief administrative officer at your elementary or secondary school. He or she must certify that you have taught full time for five consecutive years at that school, and you meet the outlined criteria for elementary or secondary school as a highly qualified teacher.

Applications and regulations are available from the Department of Education's Student Aid on the Web.

When your application is complete, submit it to your loan servicer for processing.