What is the PSLF Program?
This program allows for forgiveness of the remaining balance on Direct Loans if the following criteria are met:
- 120 on-time, full monthly payments must be made after October 1, 2007 on eligible loans,
- Those payments must be made under a qualifying repayment plan, and
- You must be working full time at a public service organization during the course of the payments.
What federal student loans are eligible for forgiveness under the PSLF program?
- Only loans received under the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program are eligible.
- You can consolidate any other education loan(s) into a Direct Consolidation Loan to take advantage of the PSLF program.
- Visit NSLDS.ed.gov to determine what type of loan(s) you have.
- Visit LoanConsolidation.ed.gov to consolidate your loans into a Direct Consolidation loan.
Download a form to help monitor your progress toward qualifying for the PSLF program.
The application for loan forgiveness is currently being developed and will be available prior to October 2017 (when the first borrowers will be eligible). Please do not submit the application for loan forgiveness until all 120 payments are made.
For more detailed information on this program, visit StudentAid.ed.gov/PublicService or review the PSLF Questions and Answers document and Fact Sheet.